Saturday, July 05, 2014

To Make Them Proud

I have a very close family. I was raised by parents who loved me, and still love me, with all their hearts and souls. Truth be known, I adore them as well. They celebrated their 43rd wedding anniversary this week. So, yes, they love each other too. Totally.

As I was musing over some childhood memories recently, it occurred to me that everything I attempted while growing up, and endeavors I tackle as an adult, I always have one question for myself, “Would it make them proud.”

There is nothing I've ever wanted more than to make my precious parents proud of me. Many decisions I made, especially in college, would have been totally different had I not had that singular question lodged in my brain.

I may have headed out to Nashville to try a singing career – but I knew my mom would worry to pieces. I may have taken my rickety Dodge Omni on a long road trip, but I knew my father would be worried that it would leave me stranded. And it probably would have. I may have majored in music, despite my hearing loss, but then I may not have a job and that would worry my parents.

I feel like I gave up some things because I didn't want them to worry and I wanted them to be proud. But in the end, I've gained so much that the sacrifices were worth it. I may never be on a stage, or may never see California, but I can see the light in my mom and dad's eyes when I walk in with my children.

And I know I've made them proud....



1 comment:

Connie said...

You are so accomplished I know your parents are proud