Monday, April 06, 2009

Perspective


Isn't it interesting how people can “see” the exact same thing, but view it very differently. A paragraph in a book may have one meaning to one reader, and mean something totally different to another. I think we interpret the sights, sounds, words, facial expressions, based on the experiences in our lives. We are created and “colored” if you will, but what we have lived, what we have experienced. This is what makes us unique, no cookie cutter, carbon copies exist in the world of humanity. No matter our upbringing though, we all have thinking, processing minds, and we have the agency to use them as we will. The past cannot be an excuse what we make of our future. Another key factor is perspective. It is amazing to me that something that seemed so horrible at one moment, only seems like a small hurdle, a meager memory when you look back on it. For now, with “perspective” the situation looks completely different. I think my goal in the coming months will be not to look back, but to use perspective to help me in he present. To see a situation from someone else's point of view – to look at things from all angles, all perspectives. I'm glad to have this opportunity, another day to awake and be excited about what is to come. Another day to try to make myself better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember who said, "We see the world not as it is but as we are," but I like it because it's so TRUE.

My former husband and I will be in a conversation about one of the children, and I'll express some frustration or mild annoyance about something he or she has done or failed to do, and he'll invariably say, "She's (or he's) young," meaning that the young adult we're discussing just doesn't see things the way we do yet.

Christy Peake said...

YES! It's Anais Nin. The quote "lives" on my website!

Connie said...

It is all about perspective!
Great Post! I love your spirit and your "quiet" personality...you go about making a difference without a big bang...It is so refreshing!

Valencia said...

Great post and a great reminder for me. Somethings I make way more out of things than I should and once it's put into the proper perspective I realize, too, that it wasn't such an issue after all. Thanks for this great post --I needed it! Have a great Easter!