Sunday, December 20, 2009

10 Again....

Most people don't know that I love Science Fiction. I'm a serious Trekkie - one of the things Travis and I had in common when we started dating which I thought was WAY cool. Anyway, while perusing Amazon, where I spend way too much money on books, I stumbled upon a title that stopped me in my tracks and opened the flood gates on many wonderful memories. There it was, "The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet." I read this book when I was 10. I vividly remember picking it up at the bookmobile and reading it constantly until it was finished. I renewed it over and over all summer long. Upon it's completion, I forced my little brother to read it - and then the incredible adventure began. We spend all summer building pretend spaceships in the woods - designing control panels, concocting recipes for rocket fuel, drawing sketches of designs for space travel. This was probably the last summer I was really a "kid" before the middle school years kicked in. This book made me a SciFi fan. I ordered it a re-read it with very different eyes. I was worried that re-reading it would spoil the magic of it all, but it didn't. It re-lit my belief that amazing things are possible. And to quote a main character from the book,"You can never doubt. You must not doubt." I can't wait to share this book with my boys. This should be exciting...




Follow my blog with bloglovin

No comments: