Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Listen


Helllllloooooo...echo...echo....anyone out there? I feel like I'm just talking to myself at this point because I've neglected my blog for so long. I stepped back from the world for a while. I had to be quiet and just listen. Listen.
What did I hear? Several things. First, I'm happier and my family is happier with a little privacy. Though I check in from time to time – life is so much better without Facebook. Prying eyes and nosy Nellies make life difficult – get rid of them!!! You can also have a successful little side business without staying plastered on Facebook as well! Less Facebook = more family time. Period.
Next, I learned that things that never interested me before were uninteresting because I never gave them a chance. I've found recently that cooking is quite fun. Makes me so happy that I can make fresh bread for my family with only flour, salt, and yeast! No bread machine, no aggravation, just simple hearty bread. Tomorrow I'm canning peaches and tomatoes!! My family is priority and having a supply of food for them is so important to me. I think I woke up at age 37 and became my grandmother. There are just so many dying arts that need to be preserved.
At the risk of sounding incredibly corny, this beautiful earth that we live on has become even more important to me as well. In my times of reflection, it has become amazing to me how much we take from the land. How much we depend on it's bounty for our survival. It was so nice to walk to our garden this summer and pick a juicy tomato. Food in my own backyard. Awesome. Our fall garden is going to be even bigger and better. We are planning some raised garden beds for spinach, broccoli, carrots, and potatoes!
I've also been working on some sewing projects for my home – in addition to sewing what seems like a million little girls dresses..
So, why the blog – again?? Because if feels so good to be canning, gardening, sewing. It just feels fantastic and I want to share the fun with everyone. I plan to photograph and document my gardening, canning, sewing adventures. And though I will probably never will be a full fledged “homesteader” my little slice if provincial living will be fun to be a part of!!
The quieter you become, the more you hear. Just listen.

My first loaf of homemade bread - from scratch!

 

5 comments:

Benson Family said...

Good to have you back. Look forward to seeing what cool things you garden and make. : )

Gwen said...

It's great to hear from you in little bits here and there. And, it's great to have you blogging again too!

I made a batch of blueberry jam recently. My mom always made jellies, never jams. So, I felt like I was stepping out with that! It was soooo good! I need to make another batch!

Christy Peake said...

I can't wait to make some jams - blueberry jam sounds heavenly. I would really like to give some little jars for gifts too.

Anita said...

Your words resonate in my soul. I will follow your example and... Listen. And back off the computer. And enjoy caring for my family. Bread looks great, by the way!

Anita said...

Your words resonate in my soul. I will follow your example and... Listen. And back off the computer. And enjoy caring for my family. Bread looks great, by the way!