Monday, July 30, 2012

Waste Not


Waste not, want not. Ever heard those four words? I heard them a lot growing up, and as an adult I really appreciate them. I've decided to slowly wean my family off of so many disposable paper products. No, I'm not going without toilet paper, but there are a few things we can do without. Paper plates, foam plates, cardboard plates – we are ditching them. That's a few bucks a week added back to our budget and a lot less waste. I may gave to wash a few more dishes, but that's s small sacrifice. Paper towels and napkins – we use a ton. While I wont yank these from under our feet all at once, I would love to see them gone. First, I'll get everyone used to cloth napkins. I sat down and made 16 little 12x12 size napkins. I just cut our squares and did a rolled hem on them with my serger. They fold to fit in my kitchen napkin holder perfectly. I think I will need many more though, but this is a start. If you don't have a serger, just hem the edges and miter the corners and viola! Lacey even gets her own pink (monogrammed, of course) napkins for her lunchbox this year. I'm on a roll!!

The best part of this project was that my mom gave me these fabrics out of her stash - so they were free.  Oh, and they match my kitchen perfectly!  I'm just having so much fun!

3 comments:

Connie said...

I love real plates and cloth napkins....have been using them for years! I have not really been blogging so it was a pleasure to see your updates.

Connie said...

I love real plates and cloth napkins have been using them for years. One of my grandchildren asked me where the real napkins were LOL (not Michelle's kids) Love your updated blog. Glad you are cooking, I knew you would love it!

Christy Peake said...

Connie, it has taken me a long time to feel kitchen worthy!! Big fear of mine for some reason. Taking baby steps, but enjoying it!