Thursday, July 26, 2012

Watching the pot....


My first day of canning went great! I started small scale (no bushels yet)! What I hadn't anticipated or read about was how incredibly long it takes that giant pot of water to boil. After a while I decided that the old saying, “a watched pot never boils” MUST be true and I walked out of the kitchen. 
 
I loved filling those jars with peaches and then with a batch of tomatoes. I had such a great feeling about preparing my family for the future. I got my peaches and tomatoes from the farmer's market since my little garden has about played itself out. Travis (my hunky hubby) brought home another five pounds of tomatoes today. I think I may work on some homemade pasta sauce for my next canning project – oh, and strawberry jam is on the list too!
My kids were captivated by the entire process. I think we've all started an exciting new chapter in our lives!




“Let us be in a position so we are able to not only feed ourselves through home production and storage, but others as well.”
— Ezra Taft Benson



No comments: