Thursday, June 12, 2014

I confess. I am not a homesteader.

You will see many photos on this site with my former blog title on them: “Our Homestead Haven.” Once upon a time I feel in love with the idea of homesteading. I love to garden, I love having fresh organic eggs from my chickens – that makes me a homesteader, right? Wrong! After reading blogs of real homesteaders, I realized I didn't fit in. This is actually a case where “everything in moderation” really works to my advantage. You see, though I love gardening, I also love being a few miles from a grocery store so I can buy a frozen pizza. Though I love having my own fresh eggs to go in cakes, I also love buying a cake already made so I don't have to bake it. And while sitting down together to dinner I cooked is wonderful, I also love eating out in a nice restaurant with my husband and wearing some nice heels and pretty jewelry. REAL homesteaders (or those whose blogs I have read), do without modern convenience a lot of the time. They milk goats every morning, clean and catch fish, bake everything from scratch, etc... I am not a homesteader. My hats off to them. I have the sincerest admiration and respect. But, alas, there is a little too much glamor in the girl to make the cut!
I Do still grow things - and photograph them. The natural world is a beautiful place - but so is my nice air-conditioned home.

No comments: